Wait, you want to contract the playbook, not expand it?
"You try to look at what we need to do to execute better on both sides of the ball and in the kicking game. If you have to eliminate some stuff, you have to eliminate it. Sometimes we get caught up in, well, we had some success last year, we're going to build off that and you move faster than we normally would. We have a younger team than we had a year ago. Sometimes, as a coach, you move faster than the kids can move. It's not about what we know; it's about what the players know and what they can do. We're still trying to find that out.
Western is athletic I guess
"It's hard for me to tell until we play them. They're athletic, I can tell you that. They're as athletic as many teams in our conference. Their receivers could run; they're tall. Their quarterback, who we played against when I was at Southern, is athletic. They're an athletic football team."
So uh...what is your current adjective for Hanson?
"I'm proud of Cory. I remember when I was at Southern, preparing for Northern, we prepared for Cory. He was light in the pants when he played a couple years ago. He's gotten stronger; he's a more physical player; he's a better player against the run. There's nothing like experience. You either buy in or you buy out. He's bought in to what we're doing and playing well.
Kill on his 2-year extension:
"It was not about money, it's just an extension. I told Dr. Peters and Mr. Compher I want to be able to get the program built back up to exactly where Joe Novak had it and continue on. To do it right, you can't do it the quick fix way. You can't take 15, 18 transfers, you have to build it along. We're playing some freshmen now that I'd like to redshirt, but we can't. To build a good program you need a little bit of time. I think they feel good about the progress we're making. Basically, I think they like the direction we are going. It's very rewarding to me because I`m excited about being here and I want to do it the right way."
John Sahly delves deeper into Kill's post-career plans:
"Much like I said all my life, I'll be fishing on some lake in a one-room cabin eating peanut butter and jelly and I'll live a good life," he said. "If it came tomorrow and they told me, 'Hey coach, you're just not what we want.' I'm OK with it. I'm not going to have a press conference with me standing up here bellyaching and griping and complaining.
"When I come to work and it becomes work, I'll walk away from it. But I've got a lot of juice in me right now."
The Pulitzer is in the mail...Huskie Wire | Huskiewire.com Road Trip Vol. 1: The search for Lot 29
Sixteen Huskies played in their first-ever college football game against Wisconsin, which the NIU coaches believed contributed to the mental errors committed against the Badgers. Those mistakes didn't really come in the form of penalties, where the Huskies (0-1) had only two for 26 yards, but in blown coverages or misreading a play on both sides of the ball.
Really? Let's break it down: WR Martel Moore, WR Perez Ashford, NG Brian Lawson, CB Chris Smith, CB Tommy Davis, WLB Jordan Delegal, LE Darnell Bolding, P Josh Wilber, LT Keith Otis, LB Dan Edem, LE Alan Baxter, RE Sean Progar, TE Jack Marks. That's 13 from the participation report. Who am I missing?
[Note by Mike Breese, 09/10/09 1:28 AM CDT ] LB Victor Jacques played ST according to the Game Notes, which says 14 instead of 16.
Can Badger flu transfer to Huskies? Source: H1N1 virus may have hit UW football team - Bucky's 5th Quarter
Me'co Brown practicing one-handed Punt catches?
"He practiced on Sunday," Kill said. "His hand was in a cast. I don’t know how well he’ll be able to secure the ball yet. But he was catching punts."
- Chargers LB Larry English spends over $14,500 paying for San Diego's 'rookie dinner'
- All Garrett Wolfe all the time in Chicago...Daily Herald | Wolfe's quickness gives Bears a big-play threat
- WIth Jones hurt, Wolfe ready to take ball and run with it
- Daily Herald | Wolfe confident he will be in the mix at running back
- Wolfe could spark offensive explosion | DailyHerald.com Blogs
- Chicago Bear Garrett Wolfe anticipates shouldering greater load -- chicagotribune.com
- Free plays waiting game with Cowboys | htrnews.com | Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter
- Former Wrestler Zak Jensen to appear on the upcoming season of Ultimate Fighter...Part 1 and Part 2 of his interview with MMATorch.com
- Athletic director working on enhancing whole football experience at Northwestern -- chicagotribune.com
Huskie Soccer (is kicking butt)
- Northern Star Online: NIU men's soccer ties #1 UNC, romps UNC-Greensboro
- Huskie Offense Dominates in 4-1 Win Over UNC-Greensboro - NORTHERN ILLINOIS OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
- Huskies Tie No. 1 North Carolina - NORTHERN ILLINOIS OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
Lady Huskie Soccer
- Northern Star Online: An ineffective offensive start leaves Huskies winless after 2 games
- Huskies Drop 1-0 Decision to Illinois State - NORTHERN ILLINOIS OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
- Northern Star Online: Women's volleyball takes 4th in Tennessee
- Huskie Volleyball Drops Both Matches At Middle Tennessee State Blue Raider Bash - NORTHERN ILLINOIS OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
- NIU Volleyball Falls To Northern Iowa At Middle Tennessee Blue Raider Bash - NORTHERN ILLINOIS OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
Huskie Cross Country
- Romeoville eyes end to playoff drought :: FOOTBALL :: YourSeason
- Osei shines again for Prospect :: FOOTBALL :: YourSeason
- Neuqua's Evans narrowing it down - City/Suburban Hoops Report
- Prospect's versatile talent :: FOOTBALL :: YourSeason
Around the MAC/CFB
- Bull Run: MAC Power Rankings, Week 1
- Mid-Major Monday: Boise, BYU hatch the narrative - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports
- Week 1 Football Power Rankings " The Mac Daily - Major coverage for a major conference.
- Bull Run: Observations From UTEP
- Rasor on the Zips " Blog Archive " Special section on InfoCision Stadium
- MAC teams struggle during football season's first weekend: Mid-American Conference Insider - cleveland.com
- 20090906759 | Saturday Action Provides Good Competition but Few Wins | Football
- CMU's stellar defense abandoned by Pop Warner offense, in loss to Arizona - Fire Up Chips
- Rasor on the Zips " Blog Archive " The morning after
- FalconBlog--Triumphs and Trials in the BGSU Falcon Nation: Rough Day, MAC Wise
- Perspective needed, but it's time for WMU to consider changing its scheduling philosophy - Broncos Insider
- Bronco Sports First!: With State Watching, WMU Falls Flat at Michigan
- Boiled Sports: Purdue v. Toledo Postgame Wrap-Up
- Truly a work in progress - Hammer and Rails
- Saturday's MAC Football Scoreboard - MAC-Sports.com
- FalconBlog--Triumphs and Trials in the BGSU Falcon Nation: With a day to reflect...
- Edge Rock Report – 9/3 vs. North Texas " Over The Pylon
- MAC Blogger Roundtable " Over The Pylon
- Cards Struggle In the Face of Meanness and Greenness " Over The Pylon
- Congrats to UNT " Over The Pylon
- Bull Run: What did we learn Thursday...
- Temple Football Forever: Three fourth-quarter leads, three losses, speaks for itself
- FalconBlog--Triumphs and Trials in the BGSU Falcon Nation: It smells like victory
- Fight song composer turns 100 | Daily Chronicle
- All Tomorrow's Parties: Texas, where men are men and meat is meat - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports